So you’ve done it. You’ve found the house of your dreams, sold your house and you are just about to complete and move. Life is pretty hectic, right? You’ve booked your house removals Stockport firm, you’ve paid your final bills and you are frantically stuffing things into boxes! But what do you need to know about the place you’re moving to, and what essentials do you need for moving day? Take a look at our moving home checklist to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible:
Things to ask your seller:
- Where are the gas and electricity meters?
- Where’s the main stopcock (to shut off the water)?
- Where is the thermostat?
- Do you have any instruction manuals or warranties on electrical items?
- Which company supplies the energy, broadband, and home phone?
- Do any surfaces need special cleaning products, e.g. wooden floors?
- What day are the bins collected?
- Do you have any old tins of paint in the same colour as the walls?
- Where did the kitchen and bathroom tiles come from?
- Where did any fixed furniture come from, e.g., kitchen cabinets?
This might seem like a lot of information, but forearmed is forewarned and it will be much easier to get this in advance than trying to contact the seller afterward when you are desperate!
Redirect your post
Another essential task and one that many home buyers forget to do is to get your post redirected. You can do this quite easily through the post office and they offer a 3-month, 6-month, and 12-month service. You will still need to contact each of the important companies, such as utilities, banks and so on to inform them of your new address, but having the post redirected for a period of time means you won’t miss anything important.
Moving Day Tips:
As one of the leading house removals Stockport companies, we cannot stress enough the importance of labelling. Label each box on the top and the side with which room in your new house it needs to go in, and what is in the box. This will save so much time on the day. Another useful tip is to put any screws and fixings from furniture into a sandwich bag and sellotape it securely to the relevant piece of furniture – this will also save time on the day as you won’t be scrabbling around looking for it. One last tip is to make sure that all furniture is moved into the house first before the boxes are, otherwise you will end up moving boxes around so that you can place the furniture in.
Moving Day Essentials
Have a box somewhere with the following items in to ensure a smooth transition:
- Kettle, Milk, Tea or Coffee, Cups and Basic Eating Utensils
- Scissors, Torch, Lighter, and a small Tool Kit
- Toilet rolls
- Light bulbs
- First Aid Kit
- Pen and Paper
- Bedding, Towels
- Bottle of Champagne (of course!)
To find out more about our experienced removals Stockport service, please call us today on 0161 264 3663 or 07843909 024